Foundations: Standards-Based Grading, Incorporating Skill Names into Classroom Life!
- The cover page includes the title of the unit as well as the SKILLS we are going to practice. The first day of the unit is the first time the students see these brand new skills! During our whiteboarding work, the students can quickly flip to the front page to check the skills they are using.
- There is a section for notes from class discussions. Sometimes there is a table for the students to fill out as we talk for easy reference.
- There are lab investigations sprinkled throughout including spaces for data and reflection. For AP®, I have a separate lab packet for the year.
- The majority of the packet contains problems, problems, and more problems. After each problem, there is a box for the students to fill out with what skills they used to solve it.
- At the end of the packet, there is a summary page on which I have the students rewrite the descriptions of each skill with their own words or pictures or diagrams on the last day of the unit.
2. Homework Reflection
The cover page of the homework looks like this:
Here is a sample from the start of our energy transfer unit.